Before we start with our tweaks and ways to play high-end games on a low-end pc or laptop let me just tell you that you don’t want to expect running GTA5 on a 1984 Macintosh. You should be at least able to run the games and have decent similarities with the minimum or average requirements.
Software tweaks on low-end PC
These hacks will focus on improving your gaming through Software tweaks and installing 3rd party software to improve CPU efficiency on your low-end pc or laptop.
Limiting Background Running Apps:
When suffering from too much lag you might want to free up your System RAM as much possible for the game to use.
- Press Win+R to bring up your Run Tab.
- Type “MSCONFIG”.
- A system Configuration TAB will be brought up.
- In the “GENERAL” tab, click “Selective Startup” and make sure that system services and startup items are checked.
- Next, Go to your “SERVICES” tab and then click on “Hide all Microsoft services” then select “Disable All”
- Then, Go to your “Startup” tab and select “Disable All”
- Click on Apply and then OK.
- Finally, Restart your PC.
Updating your games to the latest update available through a patch or auto-updates:
This is self-explanatory, right? Our game will Run smoothly if you have the latest update with all the in-game bugs fixed. The game will lag less and the FPS will go up more.
Sometimes the Game Devs stops making updates and that is when the gaming community brings up their own patches as mods.
These mods not only brings updates and fix bugs they also improve your in-game FPS. There are mods that will improve your Textures and delete small unnecessary items like small grass or stones. Removing shadows also help you get a good boost in your FPS.
One such Community where you will find mods and patches for many games is the Nexus Community. The Nexus community that host 210,322 files for 615 games from 87,934 authors serving 16,405,137 members with 3,002,376,697 downloads to date. Link to the Nexus Mods and Community: https://www.nexusmods.com/
If you play Skyrim, I have a list of mods to increase performance: https://www.theparadox.in/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-mods-to-increase-skyrims-performance-on-pc/
Using Low Specs Experience for low-end pc or laptop
This is one of the must-have items for all those Low-end PC and Laptop users who want to play high-end games.
Low Specs Experience is a software that includes all optimization packages for various games. Easily explained, Low Specs Experience is a pack of optimizations and low specs patches delivered within one seamless and intuitive user interface.
Get it free from here: https://ragnos1997.com/lowspecsexperience/
You can find every detail on how to install them and use them in the link above.
Updating your GPU drivers
I think most of you already have the latest drivers since your pc is too old and the drivers aren’t being updated by the manufacturer, so skip this section.
But, for the desperate gamers who use pirated games and not steam. I have news for you. You can get a Modded Graphics driver which will improve your FPS and you can game smoothly.
Just search on google- “Modded Drivers for (Your Graphics card name)”
Also if you have integrated Intel HD graphics, Check out my blog on Intel HD 4000. This applies to all other integrated graphics as well: https://www.theparadox.in/increase-performance-intel-hd-graphics-4000-gaming-2018/
Running No animations in windows
Windows use a bit of Ram in animations and stuff. You can use a simple looking non-animated desktop to get a little bit of boost on your low-end pc or laptop.
- Right-Click on ‘My Computer” and then on “properties”.
- Click on “Change Settings” and then on “Advanced”
- Under the “Performance” bar click on “settings”
- Under the “Visual Effects” tab select “Adjust for best performance”
- then under the “Advanced” tab select “programs” under “Adjust for best performance of”
- Select “Apply” and then “ok”
Adjusting everything to low In-Game
- Go to your in-game options and set your resolution to a low value like 1024 X 768
- Set every quality and graphics to Low like the shadows, texture, details, etc.
- Lower the Draw distance, View distance to a required value if available
- Disable Antialiasing
Upgrade your PC by adding more RAM, getting new GPU (Sorry laptop users), or a powerful processor (Again, Sorry laptop users). Try using SSD instead of a hard drive. Free up space in your PC. Also, Clean up your CPU after 6-7 months so that the dust doesn’t clog up inside. Also, ensure that the airflow doesn’t get blocked so that hot air can actually flow out and cold air comes in. Use a thermal paste always to keep your processor cool.
A short tip: Don’t expect to play a 2019 game on a 2010 factory assembled PC or Laptop. Unless you upgrade your RAM, GPU or maybe processor you can’t play any latest games that demand a lot of CPU. Play games released in the same year when you bought your laptop or the assembled PC.